Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris - Directors: Battle of the Sexes, Ruby Sparks, Little Miss Sunshine
“Attending Joan Scheckel's lab was the single most valuable thing we did to prepare for making Little Miss Sunshine. She gave us a set of tools that made the daunting task of directing a feature very accessible (even enjoyable!). She has a unique ability to inspire each of the directors she works with to build on their strengths, and correct bad habits. Her candid approach whether in private sessions or workshops, wastes no time and gets right to the heart of the matter and produces real results."
WHAT IS IT?
For the first time ever, Joan Scheckel teaches The Pace Lab - a 3 day weekend intensive that delivers the core tools of Pace that are the pulse of The Technique™. Transparent swings, Little Miss Sunshine drives, Beginners moves, Whale Rider soars --- now YOU can learn the same tools these creators used to craft these award-winning films and tv shows.
The Pace must be on the page. You cannot fix it on the day, or in the edit, without compromising the beating heart of your project. Often the writing, acting and direction of a film or series can flatline, everything becoming equally fast or equally slow or equal to whatever it's equal to. In this Lab, Joan will show you how to expertly investigate, embody and apply the groundbreaking musical and rhythmic concepts to make your work really SING.
A great director is a great conductor! The Pace Lab teaches the secrets behind The Technique™ influenced films and tv shows that have garnered over 1000 nominations and 500 wins at the Oscars, Emmys, Sundance and more.
This weekend intensive teaches you how to:
- Write, Act and Direct rhythmically instead of fixing the pace in the edit
- Define the overall architecture of your story using Action and Beats
- Map your Pace by learning the 4 Essentials of Plot
- Revolutionize your narrative drive by utilizing the key musical elements of rhythm, dynamic, tension and build
WHAT DOES IT COVER?
Day 1: Investigate
Mastering Pace is what marks a great storyteller, a visionary director and a thrilling actor. The first night breaks down the relationship between Action, Feeling, and Rhythm.
- Learn the 4 Essentials of Pace
- Connect to the emotional core of your work
- Discover the musical principles behind The Technique
Day 2: Embody
A great director is a great conductor! Day 2 uses Movement and Music to reveal the architectural building blocks of Pace.
- Learn the 7 Essentials of Rhythm
- Embody the 7 Essentials and make them your own
- Understand the connections between story, rhythm, music and arc
- Practice the Tools of Pace needed to craft a masterful film or episodic
Day 3. Apply
Put Pace into Play! Day 3 applies the principles you've learned to scene work so you can see how it all ticks!
- Break a scene down into Beats
- Add the 4 Essentials of Pace
- Define Plot Points - and understand how Pace is used to bring them life
- Learn how Pace relates with the Emotional Logic of your story (5 point Journey)
- Understand how rhythm is used to craft the scene in specific and the story overall
The Pace Lab is designed for Film, Episodic, Commercial and all content creators. It may be attended individually by the Writer, Director or Producer...or by the entire Film Team.
LOS ANGELES: Coming soon!
Los Angeles Theatre Center
514 S Spring St, Los Angeles, CA 90013
Rehearsal Room 4A - Fourth Floor
Maplink: Click here.
LOS ANGELES: Coming soon!
Application deadline: Coming soon!
For application call us at (323) 803-5039 or Email us.