BRYCE DALLAS HOWARD - ACTOR: JURASSIC WORLD, THE HELP, TWILIGHT, TERMINATOR SALVATION, LADY IN THE WATER
"Joan Scheckel is one of those rare individuals who truly devotes her life's work to investigating the essence of Storytelling. She has designed a technique that is brilliant, powerful, organized, rigorous, and shockingly transformative. Working with her allowed for insight and clarity about concepts in storytelling that had previously never even occurred to me. She addresses the individual wholly, never allowing any separation between the person who is working and the work that is being created, therefore making the essential connection between our very humanity and the stories we tell. Simply put, her level of dedication paired with the true genius she possesses, creates unprecedented results in the creative lives of her students and the work they are generating."
WHAT IS IT?
- Use Overall Actions to structure a meaningful plot
- Write and deliver unexpected plot twists scene by scene
- Craft ensemble scripts with equally strong arcs for every character
- Deliver backstory through action, not exposition
- Move through the mountain of meaning and fearlessly reclaim our forgotten truths
Crucial for writers and directors. Come learn the secrets of a rock solid plot!
WHAT DOES IT COVER?
Day 1: ACT ONE
- Set up the theme through Action not exposition
- Deliver the theme through Overall Action and Relationship
- Create Action that illuminates the Inner Life of the Characters
Day 2: ACT TWO
- Build to a dramatic crisis through the actions of awareness, not conflict
- Craft plot points that both advance the story and deepen the characters
- Develop Character Relationships that deliver the Theme
Day 3: ACT THREE
- Use Action to create a roller coaster ride through a truth
- Craft a profound transformation
- Write truly exciting, playable scenes that deliver on meaning
The Oedipus Lab is designed for Film, Episodic, Commercial and all content creators. It may be attended individually by the Writer, Director or Producer...or by the entire Team.
Please see See Films, Community and Quotes for Artists Joan has worked with and their thoughts.
WHEN / WHERE?
LIVE LAB DATE TBD
Join Joan in-person for a hands-on experience in Los Angeles (Limited class size), or join the Live Lab via Zoom and participate remotely from all over the world. Online participants have the opportunity to see Joan demonstrate the embodied work with in-person students.
In-Person class size is limited. Apply Today!
Call us at (323) 803-5039 or email firstname.lastname@example.org