Writer/Director/Producer Joan Scheckel is the internationally renowned creator of The Technique™, the most influential new approach to writing, directing and filmmaking craft in Hollywood today. Joan is known as the “director’s guru” and as a master teacher in the tradition of Stanislavski, Strasberg and Joseph Campbell. Joan’s groundbreaking work challenges our cultural addiction to conflict and calls for a new storytelling paradigm that embraces feeling and meaning. Her innovations inform every level of the mise en scène, from writing, acting, directing to visual style.
Joan trains and then teams with directors to develop, workshop, write, direct and produce material from the ground up. Including such iconic hits as:
- Niki Caro’s Oscar Nominee Whale Rider
- Dayton/Faris’s Oscar Winner Little Miss Sunshine
- Mike Mills’s Oscar Winner Beginners (Executive Producer)
- Joey Soloway’s Emmy Winner Transparent (Consulting Producer)
- Joey Soloway’s Golden Globe Nominee I Love Dick (Producer)
- Sarah Shapiro’s Peabody Award Winner UnREAL
- Rupert Sanders’s Oscar Nominee Snow White and the Huntsman
- Nick Jarecki’s Golden Globe Nominee Arbitrage
- Sacha Gervasi’s Spirit Award Winner Anvil Story of Anvil
- Karyn Kusama’s The Invitation
- Miranda July’s The Future, (New Yorker Magazine Best of the Decade List) and many more.
Joan was also co-writer on The Vintner’s Luck, directed by Niki Caro (Mulan), starring Jeremie Renier and Vera Farmiga.
Overall, Joan has worked on 84 feature films and television shows. 74 came to her with unfinished drafts, no financing or cast, and with first time or early-career writer/directors at the helm. 83 have been released, earning over 800 nominations and 406 wins including major category nods at the Oscars, Spirits, Sundance, Cannes and Emmys, Golden Globes etc. This year alone, there are 15 graduates of The Technique™ with Sundance Official Selection films and 24 Emmys, Golden Globes and Oscar nominations.
Joan has been profiled and featured for her work and her influence on a generation of directors in many articles and publications such as: NYTimes, LA Times, Marie Claire, Deadline, Indiewire, Vox, IF Magazine, California Sunday, The New York Observer and more.
Now Joan is poised to create a slate of books, films, labs (live and online), podcasts, and apps.